It is reported that ‘Umar b. Al-Khattab – Allah be pleased with him – said:
· Whoever exposes himself to suspicion, let him blame only himself for whoever suspects him.
· He who covers his secret is in a position to choose [to correct himself].
· Assume the best about your brother until what comes to you from him overcomes you [and you have to change your opinion.
· Never do you pay back someone who disobeys Allah in his dealings with you with the likes of obeying Allah in your dealings with him.
· Take righteous brothers [as friends]; acquire them in plenty, for they are a beautification in prosperity and an aid during calamity.
· Do not ask about what has not yet happened until it actually happens, for what has happened is enough of an occupation to worry about what has not happened.
· Let not your speech be given freely except to those who want to hear it and will value it.
· Do not seek help in fulfilling a need you have except from someone who wants success for you in that endeavor.
· Do not consult except people who fear Allah, and do not accompany the sinner, [lest] you learn his sinfulness.
· And be humble at the graves.
Source : Abû Dawud, Kitab Al-Zuhd